Wednesday, January 16, 2008

TERMINATE!

To paraphrase the Daleks of Dr Who fame, TERMINATE! Termination of the CREAM flight has occurred successfully during a textbook perfect mission. I went along as resident scientist/tourist on an LC130 ride. The termination is a CSBF operation, and I congratulate them on an excellent job.

We took an LC130 (notice the skis for wheels) at about noon today and flew about 200 miles along the Ross Ice Shelf east of McMurdo. I have never see the 200 foot tall ice shelf edge before and was amazed at its beauty. We then flew in about 65 miles to the balloon location. CSBF terminated the flight, which means they separated the CREAM instrument with parachute from the balloon, pulled the rip cord on the balloon to release the helium and let it free fall, and circled as the payload parachuted to the ice. The parachute separated from the payload nicely after touching down, and ended up on its side. The balloon landed after its free fall less than a few miles from the payload. I was back in McMurdo by 5 PM.

I never was worried about the ride getting wild. My sailing experience helped me keep my feet (and stomach). We do not know when the recovery effort will begin yet.

No comments: