Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Latest news

The CREAM payload is very close to being cut down. It will happen within the next couple of days. The call to do it is out of my hands, and in the hands of the Columbia Scientific Balloon Facility (CSBF) representative here. My role in the cut down is that of tourist. If we take the larger C130 I can ride along, but if a smaller Twin Otter plane is taken there will not be room for me. Going along would be a mixed blessing, I think. I am told that it is a roller coaster ride - lots of high g-force turns and vomit-inducing twists as the pilots circle to keep the payload in sight and scope out the landing area, with low altitude flyovers. I would be in the back of the plane in a moderately windowless environment so could potentially get airsick. I am told I should keep a few barf bags handy. But hey, you rarely get this kind of opportunity, so what the heck.

After our two days of blue sky, the weather has again turned poor - nothing new in that respect in this season full of bad weather. There is snow again, and a low ceiling, which makes a series of low altitude flying during cut down more likely. I have included a photo of Derilict Junction, the "main square" in McMurdo, with Ivan the TerraBus making its way to the bus stop so you can see the grey and snow.

By the way, you can make a comment by pressing the "comments" button below. Don't be shy! I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog again this year - Jan & I get a kick out of what you are up to. Stay cool and we will keep reading.
Mike N.