Monday, January 21, 2008

Mission update

Now that the instrument has been cut down from the balloon, I am waiting for a chance to go recover it. We reuse many of the pieces in later flights. Unfortunately, the weather was bad enough early this month that there is a backlog of flights of the fixed wing craft (Twin Otters). They are mostly retrieving distant camps on some remote glacier or another, so I can't really argue with the priorities. We are far down on the totem pole. Every day since Saturday we have been the backup mission, or backup to the backup mission. Never the primary mission. When will that happen? I don't know. Hopefully soon! I need three days out in the field to completely recover the instrument. Camping is not really an option since I need three round trip flights just to carry the instrument parts, due to weight capacity limitations of the Twin Otters (the instrument weighs a total of about 6000 lbs, and the Twin Otter capacity is about 2500 lbs - four passengers take up a sizable fraction of that!). Hauling camping gear in and then out adds two more flights. It takes a lot of gear to camp safely in Antarctica. Look back at the snow school post to remember how big the Scott tents are and the number of sleeping bags and pads I used were. We will do what is called "close support," in which a Twin Otter lands next to the instrument, we work on disassembly, load the plane, and come back that same day. It makes for 14 hour days, but it beats getting stuck in a tent for a few days if bad weather moves in.

So I wait. And wait. To occupy myself I work on computer projects, IM chat with family, or utilize the local entertainment. Perhaps a post on local entertainment would be appropriate.... reading, skiing, bars, talks, and more.

Please submit comments! I never know if anyone reads this. I need assurance that this is not just an exercise in typing for me. So keep those cards and letters (in electronic form) coming!

No comments: