Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Food and more (or less)

I never went back to talk about food.  I can say that at least it is plentiful, if not particularly delicious.  Fresh veggies and fruit are a real delicacy, and are rarely available. People were really excited when we got fresh lettuce for a salad the other night.  McMurdites call fresh veggies and fruits “freshies.”  
Personally, of the three meals a day (not including “mid-rats,” for the night shift), I like the breakfasts most.  Sausage, eggs, made to order omelets…. Wednesday morning is waffle day (my favorite), and Sunday (everyone’s day off) has a big brunch from 10-noon.  The dining hall is the main place to eat, but some of the more remote sites (various airfields) in the area have their own galleys.  Most of the time this just means a truck is loaded up with trays from the main dining hall and carted out.  That food is cold and even more stale than usual by the time workers get to eat it. The balloon area, however, has its own cook and galley.  This is needed because of the wild hours ballooners keep.  (The weather never cooperates fully.)  
The galley may not look like much, but it holds a secret.  John the cook is a great find.  He is very accommodating, and his food tastes really good.  He brings his own spices, and only cooks for 20-70 people at a time, so can concentrate on quality over quantity.  Sadly, he only provides lunch, unless a launch makes us keep other hours. After our launch, at 9AM, he made me eggs and bacon.  A really good fellow.  I am always looking for an excuse to spend lunch out at the hangar.

Time’s up!  But tune in next week….
I was scheduled to leave this morning, Wednesday, Dec 21, for Christchurch, but the plane is delayed until tomorrow due to weather.  Very typical.  And tomorrow it may be delayed again.  My colleague was delayed for six days during a bad spate of weather and mechanical trouble with the Kiwi C130s.  Don’t ever make carefully timed plans when you are in Antarctica. From Christchurch I will take a week or so exploring the south island of New Zealand.  I doubt I will be able to file blogs during that time, but I promise to post pictures and news when I return.  So around the New Year, spend some time perusing this blog yet again.
I have fixed the problems with the photo links.  Drop me a comment (as anonymous if you do not have an account, or just sign up for one – free!) if you continue to have problems.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been following your blog closely - checking 2-3 times a day. The kids are really into it. A first grade class may also be following so I hope those photos come up soon - especially the balloon photos. Becky

Anonymous said...

Scott, I've had no problems with the photos, so I'm not sure what everyone is talking about. Only one of them didn't work for me. Haven't tried the movies, though. Fascinating stories, can't wait to hear some when you get back. The beard suits you! Consider keeping it when you return; think of all the time you'll save shaving! (That's what the women at bryn mawr kept telling me about shaving in general...as a woman, I could never buy into the philosophy of extra body hair is actually good insulation. Lucky you!)

The photos are fantastic, and of course you have the gift for gab. Sorry about the last launch, I for one know the sinking feeling you get when you see a canopy that has "mal-ed" (malfunctioned, in skydiver speak) from on the ground. If _you_ happen to be under the canopy at the time, then it's not so much of a sinking feeling, and more of an "oh [insert expletive of choice]" feeling.


Hope your flight home is safe; remember to do the alphabet with your toes to prevent deep vein thromboses (try it backwards! that takes real dexterity!)...even if you're not female, on ocp's, or a smoker, it is still an issue for long flights and car trips. Miss you!
Laura

Anonymous said...

Fantastic blog. Good to see that, despite the lack of sleep, you still have your wits about you. I have had no problems with the pictures, but the videos will not load.
Sounds like a tremendous experience, and I'm really glad for you. I'll admit, the scruffy beard-like fuzz on your face, in combination with the sunglasses is very stunning. You do all physicists proud.
One question: I assume Antarctica is in all time zones, yet none. What time zone is "official"? Just curious.
Also, how cold are the toilet seats?
Keep up the great work with the blog. Very educational and entertaining. Have a great time in New Zealand, mate!
-Ryan

Anonymous said...

Suitable blog, its very good. Racking Horse