Monday, January 02, 2006

Last Post... Vote Now!

I made several predictions when I made my first post on this blog.  Let’s see how those turned out:

  1. I’ll grow a beard.  Yup.  Check out the four weeks growth.  I think I’ll keep it for another month or so just to see what happens. The downside is that my wife isn’t really a fan.  She says she wonders who this stranger is that she picked up at the airport.  Fortunately for me, she still agrees to kiss the stranger, but usually breaks out in laughter in the middle.  She calls herself “long-suffering….”

  2. I will spend all my time schmoozing while down on the Ice instead of all the work I am hoping to accomplish.  So true.  I got very little of the work done that I took with me, but I did revisit my pool game skills (there are two pool tables in McMurdo).

  3. I will have far more cold weather gear than I need.  Oh yeah.  I hauled around a bunch of junk.  Staying at Mcmurdo did not strain my wardrobe like going out in the field would have.

  4. I will have far more entertainment items (books, DVDs, music) than I need.  Yes, but not by much.  I finished off three of the four books and watched two of the three movies I took.

  5. I will wish I had more time in NZ.  Yes, yes, yes!!!

  6. I will not meet Peter Jackson.   Nope.  Not a sight.  But I probably wouldn’t recognize him anyway because he lost a lot of weight.  He could have been on the same sea kayaking trip I was on and I wouldn’t have known.

  7. I will gain 10 pounds.  Yes, there was a full hot breakfast every morning, and staying at B&Bs did not help.  Actual weight gain:  7 pounds.

Alright, I need your help.  What’s the word on the beard?  Compare this picture to the one in the sidebar to the right.  Does it fit me, or should I go back to being clean shaven?  Vote in the comments.

To answer a few of the more interesting questions posted as responses to previous blogs:
The official time zone of McMurdo is New Zealand time, which makes sense since McMurdo is nearly due south of NZ.
The toilet seats for the outdoor pit toilets are Styrofoam.  The toilet doors don’t always lock, so there is a red flag that says “STOP” in the room which you place outside the door when you are inside.
The CREAM detector is currently floating between 125,000 and 130,000 feet, a perfect altitude.  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The beard looks good. You look all growed up. But it needs cleanin' up (neck area and the like). Maybe you should think about a goatee. I hear the ladies find them dead sexy... so I hear... um... right?... hello?... Oh, well. Wishful thinking.

What's fun is when you remove the beard in pieces. You could go a day with a goatee, then a fu-manchu biker moustache the next. Don't forget to try the porkchop Elvis sideburns while you can.
1 vote beard
Ryan

daveawayfromhome said...

Yeah, I say go with the beard, also. It makes you look... I want to say older, but then I also want to say younger... cant decide.

It makes you look - Nordic! Like one of theose guys traveling the North Sea with Jacques Cousteau or something.

If it gets too itchy, try taking it down to a goatee, as suggested above. I say this despite my misgivings about goatees being, basically, The Uniform for professional men (a least here in Big D, where you cant swing a dead cat without smacking some guy in a goatee)

Anonymous said...

AH-I think cleaned up this might look very good on you. Hope to see you soon with or without. Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

My vote, the beard makes you look like a prancing German named Hans. Gotta go. Even cleaned up I don't think I'd like it. I like the sideburns suggestion. I say give Ryan's idea a shot (take it down in steps) and take pictures for the betterment of mankind. Guess I'll find out at the collaboration meeting what you decided on...

Nick

Anonymous said...

Confounded variables...glasses are also different, so can't judge the effect of beard alone.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Keep the beard for now, but shave it off in peices. Sideburnes would be best.--Joe

Chandra said...

Dr. Nutter! Hi!

Another variable in the bearded picture is the (distracting yet charming) quilt in the background. I only ever saw you clean-shaven, so that would have been my vote. Although you're a wise man to realize that the wife's vote trumps all.

We were pondering vectors ("jerk" is right up there with "slug" for funniest jargon, BTW) and I looked you up to see what you had to say on the subject.

Glad to see that you are still enjoying NKU. Kennan and I are here in Atlanta now, but I still think fondly of my Physics and Astronomy classes back in P-Ville in good ol' Roosevelt Hall. Although the thought of spectroscopy still makes me twitch. :)

Thanks for loving students as much as you love Physics. You really encouraged and challenged me during my time at ENMU. Our love to you and your family.

Unknown said...

paroa hotels provides best living greymouth.If you are looking for luxury greymouth motels and accomodation in greymouth then paroa hotels are best place to live in.